About the ingridients

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Guillermo
    Guillermo
    Participant

Hello!
    Been a long time and busy time!
    I had a question for y’all regarding ingredients. When starting a supplement product, one has an idea of which ingredients they want to incorporate. How does one know if they will or won’t interact together and cause detrimental physiological effects, and how does one know when they will interact together to get the desired physiological effect? Moreover, how do you know the amount needed for these reaction thresholds?
    I assumed and read that some manufacturer had their own labs that test and determine all this. Is this true? If not, how did y’all go about this beginning but crucial step?

I don’t feel comfortable just picking out a list of ingredients that individually are great, and mix them together thinking that each their own, but together the better.

Profile photo of Guillermo
    Guillermo
    Participant

Edit: I was reading through the post again as it’s been a while but, @jonathanbechtelgmail-com you mentioned that you were going to individually contact a lab to test out your product in development so that it can be an easier transaction with the manufactures. How did that go? Was it the help and information you were looking for? If so, do you mind sharing the lab?
    Thanks, and sorry for ALLLL the questions haha!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Guillermo Guillermo.
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hello!
    Been a long time and busy time!
    I had a question for y’all regarding ingredients. When starting a supplement product, one has an idea of which ingredients they want to incorporate. How does one know if they will or won’t interact together and cause detrimental physiological effects, and how does one know when they will interact together to get the desired physiological effect? Moreover, how do you know the amount needed for these reaction thresholds?
    I assumed and read that some manufacturer had their own labs that test and determine all this. Is this true? If not, how did y’all go about this beginning but crucial step?

I don’t feel comfortable just picking out a list of ingredients that individually are great, and mix them together thinking that each their own, but together the better.

Hi Guillermo,

You don’t officially have to test for anything, since dietary supplements are considered safe for general use.

So for most of these different combinations there’s not really an official protocol that you have to follow other than relying on available data on what’s going to be included, and possibly searching for any sort of drug interactions something might have.

It’s best to use yourself as a guinea pig before anything else and then reference that with available data on toxicity if it exists.

You can do a stability test to see if the ingredients will go bad or not and determine shelf life, and these generally run between 1-3,000 dollars depending on what shelf life you’re testing for. The longer, the more expensive.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Guillermo,

I ended up dropping one of the ingredients that was going to be most problematic. I contacted several people and they all said it wouldn’t be stable for the form I wanted to use and removing it made everything else pretty cut and dry from and R&D standpoint.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.