Best Sources of Plant Based Protein

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

I’m looking to use plant protein for an upcoming vegan supplement — does anyone have any ideas on the best one?

It’s going to be for vegan athletes. I’ve been reading about some different amino acids that are optimal for athletic performance and would be interested to know which versions of the different proteins contain them.

Right now I’m leaning towards brown rice protein but am unsure if this is the best choice or not.

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Brown rice protein is my favorite, although there are scares about it and lead, but this can be avoided with appropriate testing.

The dangers have more to do with consumer perception than reality, IMO.

Pea protein is best for solids like bars. It’s not the best for drinks because it’s very particulate and doesn’t mix well.

As for the *best* for athletes…..it depends on the amino acid profile, which will differ from supplier to supplier.

Arginine is the most useful IMO because it’s a precursor to creatine and nitric oxide. The BCAA’s are overrated IMO. Their incorporation into muscle is scant and aren’t really necessary for anything IMO, but they do carry a certain amount of cache in the eyes of people into powerlifting.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.