Distribution – What's Your Plan?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jay Thomas Jay Thomas 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

This to me looks like the biggest hurdle for newcomers to get over.

At the end of the day finding a manufacturer for your product is a soluble problem. Not all of them are good, and you might have to make some tradeoffs to get things finished, but you can always find someone who’ll take your money and put ingredients into a bottle for you.

The harder mountain to climb is distribution because to get that you have to be genuinely unique, and it doesn’t look to me like a lot of companies think this out very well when just beginning.

So what’s your guys’ plan for this?

Some ideas:

– sponsoring local events to get feedback, referrals and word of mouth.

– contacting local grocery stores about carrying your product

– locating a well definied group of customers that talk to each other about issues that are related to your product.

No no’s:

– Being too vague and general in who you’re reaching

– attaching all your hopes to a long-shot event you can’t control like getting on Shark Tank

– thinking that you’ll handle the customer acquisition stuff as soon as you have some product.

Would like to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

i’ve thought about this and i’m honestly not sure. it’s actually one of the reasons i haven’t gotten started. i’m afraid of having a few bottles sitting on the shelf not selling.

i don’t want my life savings getting ready to expire in a warehouse shelf!

it seems like the bigger trade shows are expensive and risky if you don’t have a lot of money. i’m looking for an easy way to get sales quickly but i’m still not sure what.

i’ve thought about putting on events about vegan nutrition but to be honest i just don’t think there’s a lot of places to do something like that where i live so i think that well will run dry pretty quickly.

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

i’ve thought about this and i’m honestly not sure. it’s actually one of the reasons i haven’t gotten started. i’m afraid of having a few bottles sitting on the shelf not selling.

i don’t want my life savings getting ready to expire in a warehouse shelf!

it seems like the bigger trade shows are expensive and risky if you don’t have a lot of money. i’m looking for an easy way to get sales quickly but i’m still not sure what.

i’ve thought about putting on events about vegan nutrition but to be honest i just don’t think there’s a lot of places to do something like that where i live so i think that well will run dry pretty quickly.

I think the key is finding where your target customers are or hang out at, and getting events at those places. I agree it’s better to start small…..good to find out where your mistakes are early.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

Well right now I’m going to different grocery stores to if they’d be interested in carrying my product.

Is anyone here throwing events in the area to attract customers?

I’m targeting vegan athletes so I’m thinking a running or eating club might be a good idea. Anyone had success with this?

I’m thinking of local farmers markets as well but to be honest I can’t see those making a lot of money….but you have to start somewhere.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.