Formula Analyzer

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jay Thomas Jay Thomas 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

hi Jonathan. i was playing around with the FA and it seems very useful.

the only thing missing from it that would make it really useful is a formula cache. it would be nice to be able to name a formula (e.g. Incredible Mood), enter all the details in, then come back in the future and be able to reselect that specific formula from a drop down menu and all the data would re-populate in the page.

you could do this with cookies and it would probably be a good enough solution. even better would be a database solution for permanent caching, but then you’d have to add a login over the top of that so formula data could be kept private.

the reason i mention this is that if you’re thinking about a supplement with 50+ ingredients (i was looking at one on the local store shelf yesterday with something like 120 ingredients) and it’s going to take months to properly formulate your product then you’re looking at entering 200+ field values (for the 50 ingredient formula) each time you return to the page and you find the data is gone.

any chance you might think about adding that capability?

by the way, three bottles on Incredible Mood appeared on my doorstep yesterday. that stuff tastes great. but i think my mood reservoir is so severely depleted that i might have to OD on that stuff for a week or two before it kicks in :)

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

I wrote the program myself as a way to develop my coding ability, but at the time putting things onto a database was too big of a leap for me…..not enough time.

I’ve consulted with some people about either allowing people to save formulas as a pdf or generate dynamic links but have not gotten around to it yet.

Completely agree that it’d be the logical next step to make it more useful so you can come back to the formulas.

Not sure if I have time for this at the moment but will keep it in mind. It makes facilitation with manufacturers much easier as well.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen
    Participant

i’d say that before you think about PDF generation do the permanent database backend. that’s the more useful bit. then you can look at the PDF stuff once the data is on a solid footing (like stored away in a MySQL database).

i’m reminded of a job i had to do for a finance company about a decade ago. every quarter they would assign a team of about 20 people to manually create reports for clients detailing the current status of their financial assets (including pie charts and what not). all up it was about $100 billion worth of assets – so a lot of number crunching.

but they were getting tired of all that manual labor and called me in to write a program from scratch to automatically read all the data and compile it into easily readable PDF files. so i was coding with Perl, reading from some database i don’t even remember the nature of (i think there was a buffer between me and the actual data), and outputting postscript and scalable vector graphic commands to build the final PDF reports. it took about six weeks to do it but i was able to retire the report-generating elves in the basement – or at least move them along to more useful work :)

it was a lot of work, i’ll grant you that. but there are probably ways to generate PDFs from raw data that are a lot easier to implement today.

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

i’d say that before you think about PDF generation do the permanent database backend. that’s the more useful bit. then you can look at the PDF stuff once the data is on a solid footing (like stored away in a MySQL database).

i’m reminded of a job i had to do for a finance company about a decade ago. every quarter they would assign a team of about 20 people to manually create reports for clients detailing the current status of their financial assets (including pie charts and what not). all up it was about $100 billion worth of assets – so a lot of number crunching.

but they were getting tired of all that manual labor and called me in to write a program from scratch to automatically read all the data and compile it into easily readable PDF files. so i was coding with Perl, reading from some database i don’t even remember the nature of (i think there was a buffer between me and the actual data), and outputting postscript and scalable vector graphic commands to build the final PDF reports. it took about six weeks to do it but i was able to retire the report-generating elves in the basement – or at least move them along to more useful work :)

it was a lot of work, i’ll grant you that. but there are probably ways to generate PDFs from raw data that are a lot easier to implement today.

There are javascript libraries that have plugins for PDF generation which make it much easier. That’s the reason I chose that route over doing a database (which I agree would be the best way to go about it in the long run). I think the one I looked at was jsPDF. A decent idea, but again, it still would’ve meant taking a week or two worth of free time to make it work and I just didn’t have the wherewithal to get it done given the opportunity cost of my time.

I still really like the concept of the formula analyzer, but the big issue is the hurdle you’d have to cross in order to make it genuinely useful is fairly large for my circumstances, so I chose to pursue smaller puddles to jump over for lead gen/traffic building that were more immediately within my wheelhouse.

So for now it sits as a super lightweight toyish app that’ll get fleshed out if I ever have the time to delve into coding (something I enjoy but don’t always have the time to do) or have enough spare cash to pay a developer to flesh it out more.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

Completely agree the formula analyzer could be a useful app if it was fleshed out a little more. I’ve used it to crunch some numbers here and there but entering everything is over and over again is a little bit annoying.

I think if you built a dashboard that people could log into and share their formulas with other people it’d be a very useful app.

Just curious……I know you’re probably just estimating, but how accurate do you think the estimated quote price is?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.