Making the Product By Yourself

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Buy Health supplements online Buy Health supplements online 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or thought of trying it.

Most manufacturers seem to be expensive to get started with if you’re on your own. I know making your product on your own wouldn’t be a good idea for a very long time, but does anyone know if its even legal to do this or how you could do it?

I really don’t want to, but have considered making a few hundred bottles myself in the beginning and if anyone had any advice.

Profile photo of Guillermo
    Guillermo
    Participant

I don’t know too much, but I believe it’s not as simple as making a smoothie. You have to know what compounds you are working with and how they react with others. You have to know the concentration of each compound in your product, which has an effect on others if they react or not. You have to have an understanding of the physiological and physical effects on people. There’s too many variables in the synthesis of a product to do it yourself in my opinion.
    I’m also in your shoes, most manufacturers I’ve contacted have a minimum order sample, which frankly it’s ridiculous amount to me, but Jonathan has a couple that he has recommended I believe. They are small business friendly. You can contact them and get a quote, I’m thinking it will be a lot less than the ones I have contacted, which I learned that they actually outsource their production.
    I’m still in the stage of getting quotes too! And have also wondered if I should just make a few bottles myself.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Guillermo Guillermo.
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Dietary supplements have to be GMP compliant, which is probably difficult to do in your kitchen. You could probably do it for a few batches if you wanted too though.

A lot would probably depend on what kind of product you wanted to make. If it’s a blended powder with ingredients that are easily bought, it’s feasible even if it’s a pain in the butt. I’m talking about something that requires you to mix powders that aren’t reactive (fruit & vegetable extracts, mostly).

If it’s something that’s more volatile then you’re getting into complicated territory.

I know they also sell DIY capsule makers too.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@jthomas, Not sure if you’ve thought of trying something like this or not, but you can get one of these for pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/The-Capsule-Machine-00-Kit/dp/B006OQ4316

Have never used it, so I have no idea how much you can actually get done using one of these, but it’s probably the cheapest way to go if you’re looking to DIY. The reviews seem good enough.

If you’re looking to do a powder you’ll probably need a good analytical scale (you’ll probably need one of those regardless, I think). These can get very expensive, but they start at $100: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Food-Scales/20290/subcat.html?gclid=CODK8dyayMICFVNp7AodZTYAYw&featuredproduct=6276151&featuredoption=8470863&cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13911055-000-000&ef_id=UbqS0AAABbm@FBCP:20141215140052:s

Bottles are very cheap and can be bought in lots of places. Personally I think it’d be very difficult to do this if you had a lot of ingredients, but if you had no more than 5-10 then I think it could be possible but really annoying.

Profile photo of FRANNY
    FRANNY
    Participant

Hi! I was hoping to find more in depth information on the process of making plant materials/herbs into a water soluble powder?

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hi! I was hoping to find more in depth information on the process of making plant materials/herbs into a water soluble powder?

On your own?

I honestly don’t think there’s a readily available reference for that.

Solubility varies from species to species.

As a general rule juice powders will be more soluble than regular powders, and the higher the mesh count the more soluble the powder will be, due to a higher surface area/volume ratio.

The best antidote to this issue is not very sophisticated, but to request samples from companies and see how soluble they are.

Were you looking to make something on your own?

Profile photo of FRANNY
    FRANNY
    Participant

Yes. I wanted to try to. :) There’s not too much information available not he process the plants go through. I was hoping to find some science and proof of concept behind it.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Yes. I wanted to try to. :) There’s not too much information available not he process the plants go through. I was hoping to find some science and proof of concept behind it.

Hmmmmm………

When you say “making plant materials/herbs into a water soluble powder” do you mean using some sort of process to transform the powders as they are and then turning them into something else that’s more soluble?

Or am I off the mark a little bit?

Mesh count and water count are usually the two variables that drive something towards water solubility.

Profile photo of Diandra
    Diandra
    Participant

Hello!

I have several questions on the process of making capsules and also making tablets.
    I am looking to create a fat cell cleanser and have some ideas for what I would like to
    put in it, but I have some things that I’m not too sure about:

1) what materials/supplies will I need in my work space to produce 50 test bottles
    I’m thinking like barcode, labels, packaging, boxes, capsule kit/tablet kit etc.
    just thinking on a limb here, sorry for lengthy questions, I didn’t know what to do or ask lol

2) how to find/figure out recipe and formula and how to actually make it/
    tools to do it right, specific tools needed for measuring and depositing supplement content into
    capsule or mold for tablet (i.e.) kit or specific ways or procedures to properly make them.
    How to figure out the exact ingredients needed, how to pick the right things you need and where to find
    safe bulk ingredients from a reputable company, and where/how to properly research the exact contents for exactly
    what you are trying to create? I know what kind of supplement I want to create but I have no knowledge of formulas or recipes,
    I just know what functions I want it to have and what purpose I want it to serve for the customer.

3) How are tablets made, can I do it myself?
    4) How much capital will I need to try it out myself at first, how to get a rough estimate of cost.
    What should I include in my start up inventory list? How do I price my first test batch of 50 bottles or
    should I give away free samples at first? How should I conduct my break even analysis based off of cost?

5) Do I need any health labels on my bottles If I make it myself in my house, and to legally sell it
    any legal things I need to be aware of before taking this on? trademarking, copywriting recipe, intellectual
    property, legally protect supplement formula?

6) Is Maat Nutritionals a reputable contract manufacturing company?
    I would like to use them in the long run.

thanks again sorry for going overboard just trying to plan things out get an idea of
    things.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hello!

I have several questions on the process of making capsules and also making tablets.
    I am looking to create a fat cell cleanser and have some ideas for what I would like to

1) what materials/supplies will I need in my work space to produce 50 test bottles
    I’m thinking like barcode, labels, packaging, boxes, capsule kit/tablet kit etc.
    just thinking on a limb here, sorry for lengthy questions, I didn’t know what to do or ask lol

tools to do it right, specific tools needed for measuring and depositing supplement content into
    capsule or mold for tablet (i.e.) kit or specific ways or procedures to properly make them.
    How to figure out the exact ingredients needed, how to pick the right things you need and where to find
    safe bulk ingredients from a reputable company, and where/how to properly research the exact contents for exactly
    what you are trying to create? I know what kind of supplement I want to create but I have no knowledge of formulas or recipes,
    I just know what functions I want it to have and what purpose I want it to serve for the customer.

4) How much capital will I need to try it out myself at first, how to get a rough estimate of cost.
    What should I include in my start up inventory list? How do I price my first test batch of 50 bottles or
    should I give away free samples at first? How should I conduct my break even analysis based off of cost?

5) Do I need any health labels on my bottles If I make it myself in my house, and to legally sell it
    any legal things I need to be aware of before taking this on? trademarking, copywriting recipe, intellectual

I would like to use them in the long run.

thanks again sorry for going overboard just trying to plan things out get an idea of
    things.

@dhunt118 – That’s quite a bit to chew off!

I don’t have the time to answer these questions right now but will try and get back to this within the next day or two.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hello!

1). Barcodes are easy to find…..you can go to a place like buyabarcode.com and then get them printed on stickers at pretty much any print shop.

2). Bottles are also very easy to find. Here’s a website that sells them: https://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/SearchIndexPlastic.html

3). Labels you could get printed on adhesive stickers and apply them to the bottle yourself.

4). For the capsules you could try this: http://capsuleconnection.com/capsule-machine/ – I’m sure this would get old quick, but for 50 bottles it might not be a bad idea.

You could also try reaching out to some manufacturers to see if they could do a small run for you. The feasibility for this depends on how complicated your formula is.

Keep in mind I haven’t tried any of this, but these seem like the most available options for a micro-batch. Will answer your other questions later when I get a chance.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

There are no absolute truths when it comes the ingredients you ought to include and what doses you ought to use. Most ingredients are under-studied relative to the types of health benefits they’re marketed for.

The best place to start for figuring out what ingredients are good for what is the examine supplement reference. Doing a pubmed search never hurts either. The more specific the health goal the easier it is to determine specific ingredients and doses. Vague goals like inflammation or weight loss are the product of many different things and there’s no one ingredient that can pinpoint them.

If you’re going to make the product on your own you need to resign yourself to the fact that your measurements and packaging are going to be a little imprecise. That’s what manufacturers are for.

I’m pretty sure you’ll want to make capsules if you’re going DIY. I don’t know of any cheap tableting machines. Capsules are easiest.

The total cost really depends on the ingredients. Ingredients can vary 100-fold in their price depending on form and dose used. The easiest place to get a rough idea of what your costs will be is the formula analyzer I wrote: http://www.healthkismet.com/formula-analyzer/. Go to the “Suppliers” section, contact some of the bulk distributors about pricing and plug the numbers in to get a rough idea of what things will cost. The final price estimate of your project includes cost of testing and bottling, but doesn’t include things like marketing, legal, etc.

All that being said, if your formula isn’t too complicated and you’re just doing 50 bottles you ought to be able to get started for a few grand or less. But it all depends.

Pricing is totally up to you and figuring out the best price is part of your job as a business owner. In my experience most newcomers are naively optimistic about what price they can sell their product at and have to pound a little bit of sand before coming to the realization that their margins won’t be as high as they’d like.

But it really depends on what venue you’re selling the product in and what your customers are like.

A good rule of thumb is the “rule of three” which means you ought to try and sell your product for 3x the price of the ingredients + shipping & handling per order.

Brief checklist of things to cover before you start:

1). Do you know who’s going to buy this when it’s finished?

2). Do you know how you’ll reach them? Human attention is the scarcest resource.

3). Do I have a process in place for how I’ll handle orders? A lot of this depends on whether or not you plan to sell online.

4). If I’m serious do I have some basic legal entity in place to conduct business under? I’m not talking about elaborate asset protection schemes. That’s a waste of time. But having a single member LLC or small chapter S Corp in place before you start is a good idea.

Yes you need to have labels on the bottles. You’ll need to get them made separately and apply them on yourself.

The biggest legal issue you’ll want to be cognizant of in the beginning is making false advertising claims. You’re not allowed to state that a health supplement is a specific cure for a disease, and need to avoid making an advertising claim known as a “Structure/Function” claim, which you can read about here: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm2006881.htm.

Legally there are important distinctions about what you can say a dietary supplement can do. Basically you need to make sure you keep it fairly vague and don’t treat them as specific cures for health conditions that haven’t been verified.

If you do that you’re technically treading in the advertising waters only reserved for pharmaceuticals, which are a lot more expensive and require more money to develop.

Other legal concerns are not that important in the beginning. The blessing and curse of starting small is that no one cares about you so you’re really not in any danger of someone rushing to steal your business idea.

AFAIK yes but I’ve never worked with them specifically.

Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

@dhunt118,

i’ve monkeyed around with making capsules on my own and to be honest it’s very difficult and time consuming. i’ve basically given up on it and instead i’m looking to settle down with a manufacturer that’s good for me.

i’ve talked to a few but haven’t decided on anyone yet. i’ll let you guys know when i make a decision.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Coincidentally I have a friend staying at my apartment who’ll be making her own capsules this weekend so I can give you first hand updates on what the process is like. Will keep you posted.

Profile photo of Tyler West
    Tyler West
    Participant

Coincidentally I have a friend staying at my apartment who’ll be making her own capsules this weekend so I can give you first hand updates on what the process is like. Will keep you posted.

How did it go?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.