Supplier for Organic Fruit/Vegetable Powders

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@greenregimen,

Thought this would be in your wheelhouse…..

I recently got some samples from a company called PowderPure, that specializes in organic fruit and vegetable powders, and typically carry whole food powders, as opposed to highly purified extracts.

In addition to being organic, their big marketing point is that their drying process doesn’t heat any of the foods and thus preserves more of the trace nutrients.

I recently got a big sample from them and thought they were quite good:

The rest of their catalog is here.

In general if you’re having a difficult time getting quotes from manufacturers (a very common occurrence) then it’s a good idea to go to the suppliers yourselves to get a good idea about the supply chain and pricing. I’m doing this with Incredible Mood after going through a similar process.

Here’s a spreadsheet I use to keep track of them: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XnDu9POkK0VE-_kAiIs_nkoHXRLIqjM1bc5qHacRCew/edit?usp=sharing It’s not complicated at all, but it’s a decent way to keep yourself organized. I try and get pricing from 2 suppliers for each ingredient to compare.

This is also useful because it makes it easy to work with more manufacturers. Many of them won’t stock all the ingredients in your formula so it can be useful to know where to find the hard ones.

My $0.02

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Jonathan, Powder Pure uses refractive window drying don’t they? How does the smell, taste, and water solubility compare to other samples from companies using spray drying (or other technique)?

Also, any idea on the price competitiveness between Powder Pure and competitors would be interesting.

Thanks for the spreadsheet by the way.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Jonathan, Powder Pure uses refractive window drying don’t they? How does the smell, taste, and water solubility compare to other samples from companies using spray drying (or other technique)?

Also, any idea on the price competitiveness between Powder Pure and competitors would be interesting.

Thanks for the spreadsheet by the way.

Ryan,

The physical characteristics of the samples were very good. Better than your typical spray dried powder, I’d say.

As for price…..that’ll come next. Don’t know yet. Will update here when I find out.

Profile photo of Green Regimen
    Green Regimen
    Participant

@jonathanbechtelgmail-com,

Thanks for the Spreadsheet. It’ll definitely come in handy. It’s very interesting that you mentioned PowerPure because I was dealing with a Manufacturer, Robinson Pharma, who claimed that PowderPure wouldn’t respond to their request for samples. Needless to say, I’m not longer working with Robinson Pharma on this project. Weeks went by and they couldn’t give me any concrete pricing. I’ve since found another manufacturer who appears to be more eager to work with a smaller company.

I will run PowderPure by them as an option and see if they currently work with them.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Green Regimen Green Regimen.
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@jonathanbechtelgmail-com,

Thanks for the Spreadsheet. It’ll definitely come in handy. It’s very interesting that you mentioned PowerPure because I was dealing with a Manufacturer, Robinson Pharma, who claimed that PowderPure wouldn’t respond to their request for samples. Needless to say, I’m not longer working with Robinson Pharma on this project. Weeks went by and they couldn’t give me any concrete pricing. I’ve since found another manufacturer who appears to be more eager to work with a smaller company.

I will run PowderPure by them as an option and see if they currently work with them.

What’s ironic is that I never asked them for a sample! It just showed up.

If I had to guess I’d say PowderPure is more expensive than your typical jack-of-all trades importer. Organic is guaranteed to be more expensive and usually anything with a patent on it will cost a lot more.

Their minimum orders are 15kg, which is less than the standard 25kg, which usually signals a higher price. (But maybe not that much more expensive).

I’m making it a point this week to compare them with a few others to see how they stack up. Will keep things posted here.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Okay guys,

I just contacted PowderPure along with 3 other suppliers to do a comparison.

This should make for a good comparison since

a). The quotes requested are all apples for apples: same forms, certifications, etc.

b). There’s a mix of jack-of-all trades importers and some higher end organic suppliers who at least claim to grow a lot of their own material (although in my experience that’s pretty rare).

Will keep you posted.

Green Regimen
    Participant

Great @jonathanbechtelgmail-com.

I’m looking forward to your findings.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Okay guys.

I think I’ve received all the info I’m going to get with regards to this. I contacted Amazon Rainforest, NPNutra, Stryka Botanics, and PowderPure.

Takeaways:

Stryka is probably not the best choice for smaller companies. They have a small customer base of large manufacturers and prefer big orders and custom blending.

To my surprise the Acai powder was more expensive than the juice/extract from two companies I spoke with. Organic was about 2.5x more expensive. Acai also does not taste very good. It’s a nice ingredient to have on a label, but it doesn’t mix well and has a fairly bitter/bland taste to it.

Apple Juice powder on the other hand is delicioius. It mixes very well and when you add it to water it really does taste like apple juice. It’s inexpensive as well. Between $10-$20/kilo. NPNutra sells it in 5kg pack sizes, making it a very accessible ingredient. It’s very useful as a natural sweetener.

Profile photo of Sally
    Sally
    Participant

Okay guys.

I think I’ve received all the info I’m going to get with regards to this. I contacted Amazon Rainforest, NPNutra, Stryka Botanics, and PowderPure.

Takeaways:

Stryka is probably not the best choice for smaller companies. They have a small customer base of large manufacturers and prefer big orders and custom blending.

To my surprise the Acai powder was more expensive than the juice/extract from two companies I spoke with. Organic was about 2.5x more expensive. Acai also does not taste very good. It’s a nice ingredient to have on a label, but it doesn’t mix well and has a fairly bitter/bland taste to it.

Apple Juice powder on the other hand is delicioius. It mixes very well and when you add it to water it really does taste like apple juice. It’s inexpensive as well. Between $10-$20/kilo. NPNutra sells it in 5kg pack sizes, making it a very accessible ingredient. It’s very useful as a natural sweetener.

Jonathan, you say the apple juice powder could be useful as a sweetener….how would you say it compares to something like coconut crystals or other fruit extracts?

I think this might be a good ingredient for my product since I’m trying to avoid any sweeteners that might give the wrong impression.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Jonathan, you say the apple juice powder could be useful as a sweetener….how would you say it compares to something like coconut crystals or other fruit extracts?

I think this might be a good ingredient for my product since I’m trying to avoid any sweeteners that might give the wrong impression.

@sallym

The big difference is that apple juice powder, when mixed……really tastes like apple juice. Therefore it might not be the best choice if you’re looking for something more neutral. Stevia is probably the best bet if you’re looking for a natural sweetener without negative consumer mood affiliations or adverse health effects.

I really like the use of apple juice powder as a main ingredient in a kids product since it has a taste profile so similar to products they’re already familiar with.

So it’s a natural fit for someone like @greenregimen, but perhaps not for you if you’re planning on making a dissolvable tablet similar to airborne.

My $0.02

Green Regimen
    Participant

So it’s a natural fit for someone like @greenregimen, but perhaps not for you if you’re planning on making a dissolvable tablet similar to airborne.

Ironically @jonathanbechtelgmail-com,

We’ve been working on a formulation using Apple Powder as opposed to Apple Juice Powder. Although the formulation tastes good, it still doesn’t have that apple juice flavor that I’d like. Therefore, I believe that switching to Apple Juice Powder may be the solution.

Jonathan have you tried both Apple Powder and Apple Juice Powder and noticed a significant difference between the two?

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Jonathan have you tried both Apple Powder and Apple Juice Powder and noticed a significant difference between the two?

@greenregimen,

I’ve never tried apple powder, but I’ve tasted the difference between 4 or 5 whole fruit powders and their juice powders, and there’s consistently a certain difference between the two. The juice powders are always a little less grainy, sweeter, and the ones I’ve tried always have a juice-like flavor to them.

A lot of supp companies sell juice powders on their own for this reason…..they usually taste better than the whole fruit powder.

So my $0.02 is that going with the juice powder is probably a good way to go…..maybe consider making it one of the first ingredients too.

Profile photo of Sally
    Sally
    Participant

Jonathan do you have any opinions on the different sweeteners? I’m not sure what to make of all the different types.

Profile photo of Angela Wright
    Angela Wright
    Participant

Hi everyone, great thread.

We have a neutral tasting “hero product” which we want to use in a powder-sachet option, for either drinking just in a glass of water or adding to juices/smoothies. The main criteria is that it mixes well (it mixes OK on it’s own).

Currently we sell it in capsules – Jonathan, is it ok to attach links in this forum to our websites/products??

I’d love some advice on whether this Apple Juice Powder would work as a base carrier for my product in sachets, and would dissolve in a glass of water without clumping…

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Currently we sell it in capsules – Jonathan, is it ok to attach links in this forum to our websites/products??

I’d love some advice on whether this Apple Juice Powder would work as a base carrier for my product in sachets, and would dissolve in a glass of water without clumping…

Sure, go ahead. As long as it’s relevant, then that’s fine.

I think if you wanted to post general info about your affiliate program or what not that’s okay too so long as you put it into the marketing forum.

But yeah…..I’d love to see links and get feedback.

I’m actually planning on doing the same thing this week! My landing page for my new product is finished and I’m curious to see what ou guys think of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.