The Official “Introduce Yourself” Thread

This topic contains 59 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

I’ve been working on a few different things aimed at my time spent around lots of gym folk, clients, and weightlifter types, mainly in the energy/cognitive support/mineral balance/rehydration area. My main product right now is a mix of aminos, minerals, and other pseudo-vitamins that I’ve found provides a nice boost without the crash of stimulants, and has been really well received amongst many of my active friends. I’ve been trying to hunt down contract manufacturers to do a powder mix for me, but eventually I’d like to work on pressing it into a fast dissolve tablet. I got a little discouraged recently though after discovering that there’s already a large company working on similar type products (Nuun).

Okay, interesting.

Have you gotten any pricing on it yet? Order minimums?

I’d say for newcomers by far the hardest part of getting started is setting up your distribution so if you have that in your pocket you’re pretty far ahead…..even if other companies are doing something similar.

Have you gotten a quote yet?

I would think chewable tablets could be done fairly easily if your $$ budget is low.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Nick M.
    Nick M.
    Participant

Hey there guys, my name is Nick and am grateful to have found Jonathan’s forum and blog! What a wealth of information to soak up! I am here to mostly learn about the supplement biz and maybe act on a few ideas that I have :) Can’t wait to learn and maybe teach people a few things in the long run.

-Nick

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hey there guys, my name is Nick and am grateful to have found Jonathan’s forum and blog! What a wealth of information to soak up! I am here to mostly learn about the supplement biz and maybe act on a few ideas that I have :) Can’t wait to learn and maybe teach people a few things in the long run.

-Nick

Hey man! It’s good having you here.

A good way to get started with this site is to ask one question you have that you haven’t been able to figure out so far and go from there.

Profile photo of Sally
    Sally
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nick M. wrote:</div>

-Nick

Hey man! It’s good having you here.

A good way to get started with this site is to ask one question you have that you haven’t been able to figure out so far and go from there.

hi nick! so totally nice to have you here! sorry that i’m a little late but it’s great to have you here in our little community! hope your business endeavors are going well.

Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

-Nick

I’m late to the party here but welcome to the forum! Always good to have another face around here. Don’t be shy…..we like to chat.

Profile photo of John Bejakovic
    John Bejakovic
    Participant

Hi guys!

my name’s John and I came here by way of Jonathan’s blog and his article on starting a supplement company (thank you, by the way — it’s the only good resource I’ve found on this topic).

I have a lot of experience in internet marketing (particularly email marketing, including for supplements), and now I’m thinking to use that knowledge as leverage for starting my own supplement company.

At the moment, my idea is supplements for men’s health, targeted at guys who aren’t into bodybuilding/MMA/etc. But that’s just a rough idea and I’ll do more research soon.

In the meantime, if anyone needs advice with email marketing, write me.

I’m subscribed to a lot of supplement company newsletters, and I can tell you that they are mostly terrible.

If you’re looking to start a newsletter or an email campaign for your supplement company, I can give you lots of advice on how to make it much better than the norm.

Btw, I’m in living in Budapest, Hungary. If anybody is passing through this part of the world, write me and we can meet up. It’s always good to meet positive people who are actually doing things!

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hi guys!

my name’s John and I came here by way of Jonathan’s blog and his article on starting a supplement company (thank you, by the way — it’s the only good resource I’ve found on this topic).

I have a lot of experience in internet marketing (particularly email marketing, including for supplements), and now I’m thinking to use that knowledge as leverage for starting my own supplement company.

At the moment, my idea is supplements for men’s health, targeted at guys who aren’t into bodybuilding/MMA/etc. But that’s just a rough idea and I’ll do more research soon.

In the meantime, if anyone needs advice with email marketing, write me.

I’m subscribed to a lot of supplement company newsletters, and I can tell you that they are mostly terrible.

If you’re looking to start a newsletter or an email campaign for your supplement company, I can give you lots of advice on how to make it much better than the norm.

Btw, I’m in living in Budapest, Hungary. If anybody is passing through this part of the world, write me and we can meet up. It’s always good to meet positive people who are actually doing things!

Hi John!

Awesome to have you here. Might need to get more specific about your target market, but as they say, getting started is half the battle.

Between you and @transplanted we have a good marketing team here on the boards. Am I allowed to ask what companies you’ve worked with? Completely understand if this is confidential.

I actually spent about 2 months in Budapest several years ago and absolutely loved it……it’s a wonderful city. One of my favorites in Europe. Can’t say I’m about to go there anytime soon, but if I am I’ll make sure to ring you up.

Jonathan

Profile photo of John Bejakovic
    John Bejakovic
    Participant

Yep, I agree with you about Budapest — I could have chosen lots of places to live but I really love it here.

I mostly did affiliate marketing of various kinds. It’s not as shady as it might sound — basically, it meant finding a pocket of people who had some problem or need, and then promoting products (including supplements) to help those people out.

That’s also the approach I’m thinking in terms of starting a supplement company. I don’t expect that I’ll mix up a revolutionary new supplement cocktail, but I think that there are lots of people who could benefit from existing supplements if they only knew about them and were convinced to give them a try for their specific problems.

Most supplement companies are too close to their products to really do this marketing well, and there’s where I think I could have a way in.

By the way, the “Notify me of follow-up replies” checkbox below didn’t work to send me updates, but I figured out I could get an RSS feed of the whole forum at http://forums.healthkismet.com/?feed=rss2&post_type=forum. Maybe it will be useful for somebody else who still uses RSS.

Profile photo of Sally
    Sally
    Participant

Yep, I agree with you about Budapest — I could have chosen lots of places to live but I really love it here.

I mostly did affiliate marketing of various kinds. It’s not as shady as it might sound — basically, it meant finding a pocket of people who had some problem or need, and then promoting products (including supplements) to help those people out.

That’s also the approach I’m thinking in terms of starting a supplement company. I don’t expect that I’ll mix up a revolutionary new supplement cocktail, but I think that there are lots of people who could benefit from existing supplements if they only knew about them and were convinced to give them a try for their specific problems.

Most supplement companies are too close to their products to really do this marketing well, and there’s where I think I could have a way in.

By the way, the “Notify me of follow-up replies” checkbox below didn’t work to send me updates, but I figured out I could get an RSS feed of the whole forum at http://forums.healthkismet.com/?feed=rss2&post_type=forum. Maybe it will be useful for somebody else who still uses RSS.

hi john! totally nice having you here!

since you’re familiar with affiliate marketing are there any affiliate networks you think are useful for dietary supplements? also, about how much do you have to spend per customer through affiliate marketing to get a sale? i’d be very interested to know your experience here!

i’m not sure if i want to go retail or online with my sales and would like to know your input, thanks.

Profile photo of Tejan
    Tejan
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m a physician that’s become increasingly convinced of the benefits of natural supplementation in overall health especially preventive. One of the disadvantages of living in the 21st century is widespread exposure to chemicals and toxins in our foods, clothes, water (Flint?). I’ve become increasingly convinced that supplementation can provide us with some immunity against them and increasing prevalence of previously rare exotic diseases (Ebola, Zika, Chikunguya).
    I’m interested in encapsulating some oils initially and in the early stages of finding a manufacturer. However the NSF listed ones I’ve contacted so far want to do a few thousand bottles as an initial order while I’d prefer starting with a few hundred.
    With all this regulation it’s no longer possible to encapsulate oils by oneself is there?
    Anyway this site is an excellent resource for someone starting out, thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hi all,
    I’m a physician that’s become increasingly convinced of the benefits of natural supplementation in overall health especially preventive. One of the disadvantages of living in the 21st century is widespread exposure to chemicals and toxins in our foods, clothes, water (Flint?). I’ve become increasingly convinced that supplementation can provide us with some immunity against them and increasing prevalence of previously rare exotic diseases (Ebola, Zika, Chikunguya).
    I’m interested in encapsulating some oils initially and in the early stages of finding a manufacturer. However the NSF listed ones I’ve contacted so far want to do a few thousand bottles as an initial order while I’d prefer starting with a few hundred.
    With all this regulation it’s no longer possible to encapsulate oils by oneself is there?
    Anyway this site is an excellent resource for someone starting out, thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi Tejan,

Nice having you here!

Just curious, what oils were you looking to encapsulate?

If I can plug, I’m releasing a new service to help people in your exact situation: http://consulting.healthkismet.com/get-a-quote-for-your-dietary-supplement/, it’s meant to help people get off the ground with a manufacturer.

I have partnerships with a few manufacturers that have no order minimums so it might be a good way to explore what options you have.

In any event, welcome to the forums! Are you from Michigan?

Profile photo of Tejan
    Tejan
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan, will be delighted to use your consulting service for early exploration. No, I’m not from Michigan currently reside and practice in the Southeast USA although I spent a considerable time in NE Ohio.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Thanks Jonathan, will be delighted to use your consulting service for early exploration. No, I’m not from Michigan currently reside and practice in the Southeast USA although I spent a considerable time in NE Ohio.

I’m from Youngstown…..are you familiar with that area? I grew up there until I went to Ohio State. Long live Jim Tressel!

Profile photo of Tejan
    Tejan
    Participant

Came from across the pond, did my residency at Cleveland Clinic then worked there afterwards. Visited Columbus often but never went to Youngstown although I recall one of my classmates hailing from there. I did adopt all of the Cleveland teams (even the Browns!)and the Buckeyes, still support them and have made all of my kids Cleveland sports fans.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Came from across the pond, did my residency at Cleveland Clinic then worked there afterwards. Visited Columbus often but never went to Youngstown although I recall one of my classmates hailing from there. I did adopt all of the Cleveland teams (even the Browns!)and the Buckeyes, still support them and have made all of my kids Cleveland sports fans.

Well I was never a Cleveland fan, so you’ll have to excuse our differences in sports teams. What type of medicine do you practice?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

One thought on “The Official “Introduce Yourself” Thread

Comments are closed.