Vitamin and Mineral Add Ins

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

I’m planning on making a powder and was wondering what you guys thought of using vitamin and mineral add ins.

I’ve read a lot that many vitamins aren’t that useful so I’m not sure if I should include them or not. My product is targeted at vegans so I figured I should include iron/d/b12. Any estimate on how much extra this would cost? If its not too expensive I think I would go ahead and do it but I’m not sure how much more difficult it makes development.

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

D is very cheap. However if you want it to be vegan you have an additional choice to make. The best form of vitamin D is D3 (cholecalciferol) and it’s usually sourced from animals…..either sheep skin or fish skin.

The most common form of vegan vitamin D is ergocalciferol which comes from irradiated mold (ergosterol). It’s not as well absorbed as D3. If you want to use vegan D3 you’ll have to get it from a few specific suppliers, the most common of which that I know of is VitaShine.

B12 is fairly pricey……maybe about $2500/kg for the pure stuff, but the amounts involved are usually so small that it doesn’t add up to that much.

If you don’t want to get too fancy with your add-ins you should be able to do it for an extra couple of dollars per bottle. I’m also a biochemist by training so my standards for which ones to use are higher than others…..including lots of high end vegan manufacturers.

Minerals also have the issue of not being very dense….they’re usually about 10-20% minerals by volume with the rest as a binding agent, so they can take up a lot of space, which is why you usually only see small %DV of them in most multi-vitamins.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

D is very cheap. However if you want it to be vegan you have an additional choice to make. The best form of vitamin D is D3 (cholecalciferol) and it’s usually sourced from animals…..either sheep skin or fish skin.

The most common form of vegan vitamin D is ergocalciferol which comes from irradiated mold (ergosterol). It’s not as well absorbed as D3. If you want to use vegan D3 you’ll have to get it from a few specific suppliers, the most common of which that I know of is VitaShine.

B12 is fairly pricey……maybe about $2500/kg for the pure stuff, but the amounts involved are usually so small that it doesn’t add up to that much.

If you don’t want to get too fancy with your add-ins you should be able to do it for an extra couple of dollars per bottle. I’m also a biochemist by training so my standards for which ones to use are higher than others…..including lots of high end vegan manufacturers.

Minerals also have the issue of not being very dense….they’re usually about 10-20% minerals by volume with the rest as a binding agent, so they can take up a lot of space, which is why you usually only see small %DV of them in most multi-vitamins.

Thanks!

Right now I think i’m leaning towards not going with it since it seems like going with can be pricey if you want to do it right. I was reading your blog post about whole food vitamins and it seems like it’s very difficult to find them all in the right forms.

But I still think B12 would be a good idea since it’s vegan.

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Thanks!

Right now I think i’m leaning towards not going with it since it seems like going with can be pricey if you want to do it right. I was reading your blog post about whole food vitamins and it seems like it’s very difficult to find them all in the right forms.

But I still think B12 would be a good idea since it’s vegan.

B12 is probably a safe bet for a vegan add-ins since it’s the most commonly known deficiency in the vegan diet.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.