What Manufacturers Have You Been In Contact With?

This topic contains 45 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SCOTT MCDOWELL SCOTT MCDOWELL 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Reliable information on manufacturers is very hard to come by. There’s not an easy way to shop for one. It’d be very useful to create a repository about people’s shared experiences.

For Incredible Mood, I’ve primarily been in touch with three different companies. Here are my impressions of all three:

Axiom Nutraceuticals: I found out about them before Supply Side West, and was able to meet with them there. They’ve generally been responsive and the lady I’ve spoken with has been good about getting back to me about various questions, and they got me a quote in pretty good order. They’re also located close to Atlanta, which makes it easy for me to visit the facility, and they have minimum orders starting at 500 bottles….very useful for a small company.

They do most of their sourcing/formulation through a third party consultant who’s very knowledgeable but not always very accessible. Most of the product-specific questions go through him, so sometimes it can be a little difficult to narrow down specific details about manufacturing a product.

cGMP: This is probably the smallest, friendliest company I’ve dealt with. They’re the most accessible, and I’ve been able to have the most direct contact with them about the formulation of my product. I also met a rep from the company at Supply Side West (by accident) and have been easy to deal with. On their website they advertise that they can start runs as small as 144 bottles: http://www.cgmpinc.com/, but this depends on what ingredients you want to use.

They have very flexible policies which can make it easy to work around limitations which might hold you back with other manufacturers.

Bactolac Pharmaceuticals: They’re the biggest of the manufacturers with the largest selection of stock ingredients, which can be very useful if you have a product with esoteric ingredients. I know they have an expansive stock of fruit, vegetable, and herbal powders. They also have a product formulator on staff, so they have a lot of built in capabilities for fine-tuning the technical details of your product. They have the highest order minimum at 1,000 bottles, but this can be cheaper than using a smaller manufacturer that doesn’t have the ingredients in stock.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Einat Naveh
    Einat Naveh
    Participant

Thanks for posting this! I will check out Axiom and cGMP. I am going to start the conversations with manufacturers this week and hopefully pick one in early January.

I am going to target these – have you heard of them? I met them at Supply Side East.
    Global Health Laboratories – http://www.globalhealthlabs.com
    PJ Noyes – http://www.pjnoyes.com
    Herbally Yours – http://www.herballyyours.net

**What questions should I ask** I have a whole laundry list that I was asking before but what is the most important in your experience?

In the past I have contacted the following (in case this helps anyone who was curious)
    Nutricap – 1000 bottle minimum
    Palmer Natural Products – 100,000 pill minimum
    7 day health – 100,000 pill minimum
    NHK Laboratories – 150,000 pill minimum (would not recommend based on customer service)
    Vita-Tech – had no customer service! Never got through…

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@einat,

I think PJ Noyes primarily works with large companies. I recall from somewhere else that they have a 10,000 bottle minimum. I’ve dealt with Nutricap and think they are good for a narrow range of products but will have more to say about that through a Private Message.

I think VitaTech sucks, me and @greenregimen have tried initiating a project with them and gotten nowhere with it. I spoke with Herbally Yours @ Supply Side West and had a favorable impression, but I have not really gotten anywhere with them since then. The sales rep told me I had to submit an official RFQ through their website and nothing has come of it yet. I am not really pursuing it yet because I’m waiting to see how things go w/ Bactolac, Axiom, and cGMP before I look elsewhere.

Profile photo of Green Regimen
    Green Regimen
    Participant

Exactly @jonathanbechtelgmail-com and @einat

After 4 weeks, VitaTech finally got back to me with a quote. However, it was very high and was for a non-organic product. Perhaps they’ll work faster if you’re doing pills. Many Manufacturers whom I spoke with, although I told them that I wasn’t doing pills, mentioned to me that they could do Pills. So I would think that you should have an easier time getting a Manufacturer to work with your project.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Okay, figured this might be a good time to update.

In the past I’ve mentioned JW Nutritionals and Intermountain Nutrition.

So far I haven’t really been able to get anything done with them. They seem good for small companies but of course that’s only if they can take some sort of action for you.

I spoke with a company called AgroPur, but they did not stock a lot of the ingredients for my formula and said I would need to buy a lot of them on my own. That’s fine, but they also have 2000 bottle minimums…..I was optimistic that they might be a useful all-in-one type of manufacturer, but they ended up not being a good fit for me.

I’m still in contact with Axiom Nutraceuticals and Bactolac, and so far my time with Axiom has gone well. They’re the frontrunners right now.

You guys?

Profile photo of FRANNY
    FRANNY
    Participant

I called cGMP super excited to talk with them. They do small lots which is what I need. Their website says call at any time that they are ready to speak with you but when I called I got the complete opposite response. The man actually picked up the phone, said “I am not working,” & hung up on me! :( I called during the day too… Just in case you are wondering if I called at some arbitrary time.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

I called cGMP super excited to talk with them. They do small lots which is what I need. Their website says call at any time that they are ready to speak with you but when I called I got the complete opposite response. The man actually picked up the phone, said “I am not working,” & hung up on me! :( I called during the day too… Just in case you are wondering if I called at some arbitrary time.

Oh dear :(

That’s not good.

Could you start with 500 bottles? Axiom does that and I was able to get a very reasonable quote from them.

I also know the QC guy at cGMP. He’s who I’ve worked with in the past and he’s always been very helpful to me.

Profile photo of Sally
    Sally
    Participant

@franny – bummer! I was disappointed to hear this since they sounded like a good fit for me too since I think we’re in the same situation. Have you tried again or looked at anyone else? Has anyone else tried Axiom?

Profile photo of FRANNY
    FRANNY
    Participant

@sallym I’d be interested in talking with you about what you are trying to achieve. Maybe we could help each other!

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@franny, @sallym,

I’m actually getting ready to have a call with a cGMP in a few days and I can update you on how things go….maybe even ask about what happened previously.

Profile photo of Angela Wright
    Angela Wright
    Participant

Hi Sally, Franny and Jonathan

Thanks for starting this thread!

Jonathan, thanks for the offer of an introduction to your Axiom rep. They look great http://axiomnutraceuticals.com/services/custom-formulation/ so any shortcuts to speaking with the right person that you can give me will be really helpful, otherwise I’ll contact them through their website.

Our business is still pre-launch but have started selling already and have a lot of interest. Our first batch of “Amino Boosters” is nearly sold out so we’re on the back-foot of arranging more production, which this time we want to be in the USA so that we can supply the American market as well. The next batch will be to a slightly different formula.

Our next run will be 1300 pots x 120 size 00 capsules – vegetarian. I have found a manufacturer but he’s not reg with http://www.nsf.org/about-nsf/nsf-mark and also holds no insurance – worryingly.

You can check us out here if you like at Get Your Boom! Back GetYourBoomBack.com

We’re getting great responses to our initial three products – I’m so excited and happy that we’re helping people.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated and of course I’m very happy to help you in any way I can too.

Best regards

Angela

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

@angelawright

I’ll make sure to forward your info along. I’ll be calling her tomorrow, so I’ll give her the 411 and get you introduced.

I recently sent another lead her way and from what I understand the conversation went well….covered lots of bases, went over various details, pricing, etc.

I think you’re further along than he was so my hopes are high. You’ll have to let us know how it goes (at least in private).

I’m actually trying to get her to join the forums. I reckon this would be a great place to source leads and it’d be nice to have someone from the industry chiming in with their own answers.

Cheers!

Profile photo of Angela Wright
    Angela Wright
    Participant

Thanks so much @Jonathan. Cd u pls give me her name and email then I can forward info so we don’t lose time… I’m about 15 hrs ahead of u (GMT+10) so easy to lose half a day/a day…

Good idea if she’s in the forums too… Have u heard of http://www.capsugel.com/about/about-us too? They look pretty good so I’m going to talk w them simultaneously.

Really we need someone on this list http://www.nsf.org/about-nsf/nsf-mark and obviously with all the appropriate licences, insurances…

Wd u like to invite two of my colleagues to join this forum? David Wright david@getyourboomback.com and Anwar Craven anwar@getyourboomback.com?

Best

A

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Thanks so much @Jonathan. Cd u pls give me her name and email then I can forward info so we don’t lose time… I’m about 15 hrs ahead of u (GMT+10) so easy to lose half a day/a day…

Check your e-mail.

And yes, please feel free to invite whoever you want.

Profile photo of Einat Naveh
    Einat Naveh
    Participant

So my experience with cGMP – the woman I spoke with was incredibly condescending with me and wasn’t interested in small run unless you had VERY common ingredients. Probably won’t work for me.

Axiom – took 2 weeks to hear back from them but the rep is very nice. I am going to send him my high level formula for a price quote (which he said would take another 2 weeks!).

Question — do you send over your formula with an NDA for them to sign? It’s not even a final formula yet, I need help finalizing it so I am not really concerned but figured I would ask what people tend to do.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.