What supplements do you use and why?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Green Regimen Green Regimen 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Me:

Some combo of Incredible Greens/Berries/Dragon (duh) to promote general wellness.

Will occasionally mix it with protein for more of a meal replacement.

P-5-P/5-MTHP/Niacin/Methyl B12 for cognitive function/sleep as mentioned in this post: http://blog.healthkismet.com/how-to-use-b-vitamins-to-improve-concentration-and-get-better-sleep, but am experimenting with different doses, particularly to see what effects are specifically due to Niacin above all else. I’ve had better circulation/bloodflow and I suspect it’s primarily due to that.

My hunch is that I have more than enough B12 and can probably stop taking that and continue with the folate by itself.

Beginning to experiment with curcumin stacks for detox, but that’s still up in the air right now.

My supplement use is probably zanier than the average joe, but for me it’s a hobby in itself.

You guys?

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Green Regimen
    Green Regimen
    Participant

Me:

A plethora of Green Smoothies. If you’re every looking for ideas, you can check out my Recipes at GreenRegimen.com.

A multivitamin. However, I need to confirm if my multivitamins have the “right stuff” that Jonathan suggested in this Multivitamin Post.

I also take some BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) due to my severe athletic regimen.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Me:

A plethora of Green Smoothies. If you’re every looking for ideas, you can check out my Recipes at GreenRegimen.com.

A multivitamin. However, I need to confirm if my multivitamins have the “right stuff” that Jonathan suggested in this Multivitamin Post.

I also take some BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) due to my severe athletic regimen.

Yes, I’m a smoothie guy too.

What’s your athletic regimen?

I’ve recently started taking creatine which I think helps with my workouts….I get further at the end of my reps when I load with it. I really think it’s one of the most useful supplements you can take. Cheap too.

Green Regimen
    Participant

Currently I do a 4 day per week routine. It’s a split body part routine (Back & Shoulders, Chest & Triceps, etc.) expect Leg day is JUST legs. I do have Creatine but I only take it when I think about it. And that’s not very often these days.

I have a pre-workout drink which consists of blending 32oz of Watermelon, pouring it into a Bottle and off I go. The Citrulline in the Watermelon is a precursor to Arginine and Nitric Oxide. That’ll help get the veins pumping.

Perhaps you can mix that with the Creatine and you’ll have a Homemade pre-work.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Interesting.

Do you do any crossfit or cardio? (Basketball?)

Green Regimen
    Participant

No Crossfit but I play in 5 different basketball leagues during the week. It’s a lot, so I can’t workout too hard or I’ll cramp up during the basketball games at night. There is definitely a reason why the best players throughout history have had lean bodies with not much musculature. So I’m pushing the envelope a bit.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Best basketball players? You’re probably right, although I think your body type goes a long way towards determining your overall form once you add muscle.

I’m a draftnik and like to read a lot of scouting reports on college prospects when they enter the league. Usually a big point of emphasis is what the players will look like once they enter a weight training regiment. Some guys (like a young Dwight Howard) were just primed to tack on lots of muscle, whereas guys like Rip Hamilton or Kevin Garnett are pretty much destined to stay wiry thin, even if they get very strong.

Green Regimen
    Participant

Indeed. Centers and Forwards can get away with having a little bulk. It’s the shooters that have to be careful. I’m a shooter like Ray Allen who can give you a little Barkley post action when needed.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Indeed. Centers and Forwards can get away with having a little bulk. It’s the shooters that have to be careful. I’m a shooter like Ray Allen who can give you a little Barkley post action when needed.

Really? Hmmm…..

Then yeah, you’re probably right. I’m trying to think of a bulky shooter and coming up blank. Antoine Walker, but he was a PF. Bulk seems to work with wings when your game consists of getting to the hoop (Jimmy Butler, Marcus Smart, DRose, Corey Maggette), but I can’t think of any shooters who did their thing with a linebacker build.

Green Regimen
    Participant

Perhaps Derek Fisher was the most recent muscular guard. He lasted quite a while too.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Ben Gordon! That’s who I was trying to think of before. He was built like a tank and a great shooter back in the day.

Green Regimen
    Participant

He’s with Orlando now. 10 year NBA Veteran already. Where has the time gone?

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

I know….it’s crazy.

I remember when Duncan was a rookie. Jordan just turned 50! I’m getting old in basketball years.

Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

I loove me a green smoothie and that’s what i use to take all my supplements. I currently use a lot of chia seeds, sunwarrior vegan protein, and flax oil. Mix it with frozen fruit and coconut milk….it’s delicious and filling.

I stay away from regular vitamins since i’ve read they don’t do a whole lot of good.

Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

I loove me a green smoothie and that’s what i use to take all my supplements. I currently use a lot of chia seeds, sunwarrior vegan protein, and flax oil. Mix it with frozen fruit and coconut milk….it’s delicious and filling.

I stay away from regular vitamins since i’ve read they don’t do a whole lot of good.

Yeah, it looks like smoothies are big around here. In my opinion most vitamins are not well optimized because it’s too expensive to manufacture them, but there are a few brands which do well…..namely Preventive X by Douglas Labs.

Other than that I find it most useful to buy individual ingredients and create stacks myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.