What's Your Biggest Obstacle?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Angela Wright Angela Wright 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

I know for me I’m struggling with finding a manufacturer right now. Many of them have large order runs and in general it’s hard for me to find the answers that I need.

I think this is a common issue for a lot of people in your position (myself included to some extent).

There’s a very difficult tradeoff between a manufacturer that’s accessible and still competent enough to help you throughout the sales process. They seem to be either one or the other with very inconsistent results.

I think it becomes a lot easier once you already have a product going, but getting through the chicken and egg problem is part and parcel for developing your own business.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of joel
    joel
    Participant

First off, awesome website/blog/forum! Thank you for all the information!

I’ve just gotten started in this journey of making a supplement business. I’ve been using supplements for about a year now and have been doing a lot of research. At this point I have a recipe for a great supplement and a target audience, but I’m just nervous about making and selling these supplements in my own home. I know bootstrapping is needed and I have the time and capability to put everything together; it’s mainly the possible legal aspect of things that concerns me (cgmp and the like).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

First off, awesome website/blog/forum! Thank you for all the information!

I’ve just gotten started in this journey of making a supplement business. I’ve been using supplements for about a year now and have been doing a lot of research. At this point I have a recipe for a great supplement and a target audience, but I’m just nervous about making and selling these supplements in my own home. I know bootstrapping is needed and I have the time and capability to put everything together; it’s mainly the possible legal aspect of things that concerns me (cgmp and the like).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

@joel-alban,

In my opinion the liability aspect of getting sued is something of a boogeyman if you’re small enough that you’re thinking about making them in your own home.

The opposite side of the coin of being so small that no one’s paying attention to you is that the chances of getting sued are proportionately reduced because of the teensy-weensy surface area of your company.

Of course it depends on what you’re actually putting into your supplement, but dietary supplement ingredients are already pre-qualified as being safe, so it’s considered okay to mix and match them as you like.

Of course you’ll need to appreciate that, while you might be able to start this way, you won’t be able to stay this way for very long….at least if you have any success.

In my opinion the biggest issue for new supplement companies is finding customers, and liability insurance/cgmp regulations are downstream of that.

Most of the cgmp issues are sealed when you choose your manufacturer, and as someone who’s retailing the products you’ll be more closely involved with FDA/FTC advertising laws that dictate how you can market the product.

I hope this helps.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Profile photo of Angela Wright
    Angela Wright
    Participant

Thanks @jonathan.

Can you give any pointers re FDA/FTC advertising laws?

We’re having to get a Presale Certificate and a Certificate of Origin,for instance, so that we can export to Europe and the UK out of the USA, which the manufacturers are arranging and which can take 2-3 weeks I believe.

Wd love some more advice/pointers/examples re FDA/FTC and the Aussie equivalent (TGA) and the UK equivalent…

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.