Where Do You Source Ingredients and When?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel Jonathan Bechtel 3 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paul Brynoff
    Paul Brynoff
    Participant

I apologize if this question has been asked already, or if it’s so obvious that it doesn’t even need explaining. I’m happy to put on my dunce cap and go back to the corner if someone can put me in my place.

My question is: who takes care of the ingredients when you’re making a dietary supplement? Am I expected to buy all of them myself? I’m looking for reliable sources in this area and it’s like searching for a fresh coconut in the Sahara. Outside of some threads on this forum there doesn’t seem to be anything on the whole internets.

I feel like I’m in the desert scene from Space Balls:

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

This is a great question. Most of the time the manufacturer will source the ingredients themselves unless you specify otherwise, and the cost of testing, loss, etc will be included in your quote. Some manufacturers won’t allow third-party ingredients into their warehouse, but most of them do.

Usually you’ll source the ingredients only when you specify that you want to do this, but when you do you’ll be subject to minimum pack sizes that you’ll have to pay for, in addition to testing.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
    Paul Brynoff
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate the answer.

My desired product is probably going to have some vitamins in it. I don’t know enough about them to know which forms I should use so please don’t ask.

In general do you find that any of them are difficult to source? Is this a detail I should be worried about?

Profile photo of Jay Thomas
    Jay Thomas
    Participant

My desired product is probably going to have some vitamins in it. I don’t know enough about them to know which forms I should use so please don’t ask.

In general do you find that any of them are difficult to source? Is this a detail I should be worried about?

So far I’m finding out that most manufacturers don’t have a hard time with vitamins but it can start to get complicated when you have a lot of them, unless they can use some sort of pre-mix that they have in stock.

I spoke with a manufacturer last week that said if I wanted to use a lot of vitamins (like what you’d find in am ullti) then i’d have to go up to 5000 bottle orders but if i wanted to stick with b vitamins then I could probably stay at 1000 bottles.

Paul Brynoff
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Paul Brynoff wrote:</div>

So far I’m finding out that most manufacturers don’t have a hard time with vitamins but it can start to get complicated when you have a lot of them, unless they can use some sort of pre-mix that they have in stock.

I spoke with a manufacturer last week that said if I wanted to use a lot of vitamins (like what you’d find in am ullti) then i’d have to go up to 5000 bottle orders but if i wanted to stick with b vitamins then I could probably stay at 1000 bottles.

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it.

I think for now, just to spare my already steep learning curve, I’m going to leave it to the manufacturer if they’ll let me.

Any in particular you’ve had a difficult time with?

Profile photo of Jonathan Bechtel
    Jonathan Bechtel
    Keymaster

For the most part vitamins are commodity ingredients and a manufacturer should not have a hard time sourcing them.

The biggest exceptions I know of are MK-7 and Methyl folate…..they’re either really expensive, patented, or both.

If you want to get into some of the esoteric vitamin intermediates then you can also run into problems. But if you’re doing standard stuff like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, etc, then there shouldn’t be an issue.

A bigger issue might be whether or not your manufacturer stores any ingredients. Some only buy to the run, which means that you might have higher order minimums (like 5000+) if you want to combine a large number of them.

Owner of Health Kismet . Open to answering any and all questions.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.